Sunday, July 17, 2005

I hate you....Damascus!



I will stop loving you if you do not stop smoking! No, I already hate you…. I hate your smell and I hate your foggy look, what happened to you? Why the negligence? Look at the huge cloud of smoke over you!

After all what we had? You have become careless. I loved your smell before, I loved the green bracelet you had around you and I adored the line of tears that used to go through you, where have they gone? No more Jasmine, no more Ghouta and no more Barada…..


You were never abandoned! I never have! But I will…..

I cannot love you anymore, I cannot face the people who made you become as you are nowadays, remember how much troubles loving you has put me through? I was named betrayer just because I said they are not bringing you up the way they should, I was named so many names, I was called infidel of traditions and society by the elderly when I said that we need to get you a new modern dress and keep your old one clean and saved!

I can say it out and lout, I loved you for your beauty, I loved you for your look and I loved you for your dignified past….. But look at yourself now, you are becoming ugly and you are losing your heritage and wealth! I cannot recognize you anymore, you are stranger to me, and thus, I cannot love you!

Look at you!....look at these random buildings that house me and all my beloved ones, look at those small streets and alleys that once had the footsteps of great people and maybe still do, look at these mosques and churches, they were the places that held our voices asking for forgiveness, happiness and prosperity, look at yourself!...........Oh, Damascus, I think I lied, I can never hate you... You will always be my sweetheart no matter how you look and smell cuz to me, you are always my sweet home, Damascus!

9 comments:

Roba said...

I agree with you. I just got back from Damascus and my throat is CHOKED with pollution. It really is a pity.

Dina said...

Something has to be done about the pollution...I sometimes wonder what my lungs must looks like!

But still I can't help loving Sham and everything about it.

Anonymous said...

nice pic

Unknown said...

nice post I strongly agree with you, damascus has lost his charm. Bafore, damascus was known from its green heaven gardens, throughout middle east, and now, i think that pollution makes just its reputation, ty!

Sinan said...

It hurts as much as it hurts you.. I mean I don't even remember when was the last time I smelt jasmine in the road?? I mean the other day I was even walking in Mazzeh which is considered less poluted than other neighbors I saw a jasmine bush I leaned to it and I didn't smell anything!! I was devasted this really hurts.

Unknown said...

what a sensitive man, yo ;)

Yaman said...

You are so true... I think the government should put a lot of work into civil rejuvenation (... ahem after they fix the civil rights problems) and try to replant much of the green on the streets.

Unknown said...

yep, and they need to give up to build their rotten buildings that cannot live more than 100 years in contrary to the colonialist period buildings!

Anonymous said...

You're simply amazing! I love the way you write....