I would like to take the opportunity in this joyful day and congratulate our neighbours, the Lebanese, for making such a historic, humanly-impossible-to-achieve deal.
To those who happen to read this blog but have no clue what happens in Lebanon and what deal that is, here is a summary of Lebanon's history.
Lebanon for dummies:
- Few years ago, Lebanon was existed
- Few years after, Lebanese started killing one another based on their sects and political affiliation
- Few years after that, Lebanese stopped killing one another after huge efforts, mediation and military intervention from the Arabs
- Few years after that , the Arabs stopped their mediation and military intervention as Lebanese must have matured.
- Few years after that and few months ago, Lebanese got nostalgic and started killing one another based on sect and political affiliation.
- Few days ago, the Arabs started mediating and just today a historic deal between the Lebanese shepherds,aka ex-war-lords et al., was struck.
This deal comprises of the following:
- Thou Lebanese should not kill one another
- A trial period is needed to test the ability of a Lebanese to co-exist with another Lebanese who belongs to a different sect
- A Lebanese of a certain sect can only elect another Lebanese of the same sect, inter-sectarian voting is therefore frowned upon.
Viva Le Liban indeed!
Photo from english.daralhayat.com